SCM318 is currently in development scheduled for Q2’18 sampling and Q3’18 production. The SCM318 is an Extended Lifetime Roadmap Product.
Support is available for customers with a technology onboarding program. Contact Us to learn more.
The Core of Next Generation Embedded Systems
Serious Communications/Control Modules (SCMs) are powerful and extensible HW+SW platform-level building blocks designed to be the core of next generation embedded systems designs.The SCM318 family is a series of off-the-shelf comms/control modules delivering:
- A multi-generational HW/SW architecture core for embedded designers, with highly migratable SW from the SCM208 designs and into the future
- An extensible HW platform with numerous options for customization and expansion
- A strong “app ready” commercially supported and pre-licensed software runtime environment, including Segger OS and software as well as the Serious SHIPWare drivers, infrastructure and frameworks.
SCM318 FeaturesThe SCM318 family has numerous members, or “variants” with combinations of the following features:
Powerful ARM Processor & Memory System
- 400MHz ARM Cortex-A9 Renesas RZ/A1LC or RZ/A1L MCU with up to 3MB on-chip RAM
- 8MB SPI Serial NOR Flash for build-in SHIPv5 Boot System code and user application storage
- 128MB QSPI NAND Flash for file and data non-volatile storage (Segger emFile File System stacks included)
- 802.11bgn 2.4GHz WiFi via a GT1216 (or similar) certified module with the Qualcomm QCA4004 “Kingfisher” chipset
- Bluetooth 5 Thread-capable certified module (Rigado BMD340 or similar) with the Nordic nRF52840 chipset
- Primary port on the Comms Header, normally delivered via the SPM052 Comms Riser Card as an RJ45 jack
- Secondary switched Ethernet port on the Ethernet Expansion Header for off-board addition of magnetics & jack with optional PoE
- 2/4-wire half/full duplex RS485/RS422 with on-board termination option
- 2xCAN and LIN MCU ports exposed for off-board transceiver/network connectivity
- Numerous UART, SPI, I2C MCU ports exposed for off-board connectivity options
- USB device port for programming, updates, and PC connectivity, with secondary override input on SIM Passthru Header
- Up to 4 USB Host outputs, including two USB Host A connectors on the SPM052 Comms Riser Card
- 40-pin board-to-board Serial Header (GPIO, ADC, I2C, SPI, UART, etc.) for custom daughtercard expansion
- 30-pin board-to-board Bluetooth Expansion Header exposing numerous BT chipset signals
- 30-pin board-to-board Comms Header, including Ethernet, dual USB Host, and UART+transceiver control signals normally populated with the SPM052 Comms Riser Card
- 10-pin board-to-board Ethernet Expansion Header, for 2nd switched Ethernet port expansion and PoE options
- 30-pin board-to-board HMI Header, including direct dock option to Gen5 SIMx52 and SIMx62 families
- 10.8-35VDC wide input power supply
- -40 to +85C operation
- Dual USB Host A jack with power control
- 10/100 Ethernet RJ45 jack
- 6-pin 3.5mm RS485/Power Connector for simple in-chassis and/or industrial network connectivity
Discover a complete list of available Serious communications/control modules (SCMs) and Serious Integrated HMI Modules (SIMs).
|Operating Temperature||-40 to +85C|
|Power Good LED (Green)||●|
|Main Power Input||+10.8 to +35VDC|
|Renesas 400MHz ARM Cortex-A9 MCU||RZ/A1L||RZ/A1LC|
|External SPI NOR Flash||8 MB|
|External QSPI NAND Flash||128 MB||-|
|10/100 2-port Ethernet Switch||●||●||●||-||-|
|10/100 Ethernet Ports||11,2+12||11,2+12||11,2+12||-||-|
|Bluetooth Smart w/NFC™- A Tag||●|
|WiFi 802.11 b/g/n||●||●|
|RGB LED User Status Indicators||2||2|
|RS422/485 2-/4-wire w/Transceivers||11,2||11,2|
|USB2.0 HS Host w/A Connector||21,2||12|
|USB2.0 HS Host||●|
1On SPM052 standard riser card, check order codes for SCM318+SPM052 pre-assembled bundles
2Available via custom riser card and/or daughter card
Serious can support semi-custom or new variants the SCM318. Contact us for more details.
SCM Development Engagement Model
There is no cost or royalty for the out-of-the-box software/firmware for Serious Comms/Control Modules (SCMs). However, getting access to this software and firmware for initial development with SCMs requires a one-time “kickstart” engagement with our Services team to ensure a smooth first project experience. First-time access to SCM dev kits and downloads is predicated on having this engagement in place. Once you’ve been through this initial process, ongoing support (including new revisions of firmware and access to new SCMs) is available at a nominal charge through an annual maintenance and support contract. Contact Serious for details.
A Complete No-Cost Commercial Development Environment
You can waste months porting an OS and developing the board support package, basic support utilities and communication protocol stacks — even before writing the first line of traditional C- code. Using “free” software stacks can lead you down of path with minimal support and a hodgepodge of building blocks constant requiring attention.
Serious gives you a complete, no-cost, commercially supported development environment, including tools and software, to enable you to focus on your communications and control software, not the infrastructure. We call it Leveraged Embedded.
Full Commercial Dev Tools
Every SCM Development Kit comes with an unlocked, single seat commercial license to Segger Embedded Studio, enabling powerful cross-platform C development and debugging for your SCM projects. All Serious ARM-based SCM example projects come pre-engineered out-of-the-box for Segger Embedded Studio.
SHIPWare – A Complete Firmware Platform for Comms/Control App Development
Every SCM also comes with Serious SHIPWare – a starting set of code and firmware on which you can build powerful control and communications applications, leveraging all the features of your module. SHIPWare complete, commercially supported software including:
- Segger OS and Stacks
- Serious frameworks and infrastructure, including the SHIPv5 Boot System with firmware update and version management
- Drivers and high level abstractions for on-board peripherals, including UART, SPI, I2C, WiFi, Ethernet, FLASH storage, and more
- Segger embOS RTOS kernel, pre-ported and optimized for the platform
- Segger emFile file system, including FAT and embedded file system support with journaling, and all the necessary drivers pre-integrated for the platform
- Segger emUSB-Device USB device/host stacks with various classes, and pre-integrated for the peripherals
- Segger emTCP/IP and TLS/SSL security stacks (including DHCP, web server, ftp, and more), pre-integrated with the WiFi and Ethernet peripherals
- Segger MQTT and CoAP stacks for IoT data connectivity
- Segger emCrypt, the foundational NIST-validated security you need for IoT and device connectivity
In addition to these ingredients, SHIPWare includes numerous application level frameworks, drivers, and example code for developing a communicating and controlling application, including heap and buffer management, the SHIPBridge device and host protocol stacks for communicating with the HMI. This software is provided in source code format and is fully supported by the Serious team.
Production Line and Application Installation Tools
Out of the box, the SCM also includes the SHIPv5 Boot System, including pre-installed boot-strap and boot-loader applications enabling you to install and commission your custom embedded application on the board on the production line using the no-cost SHIPCrane tools or even over-the-air/wire.
The SCM318 is currently in development. Technical documentation is available to approved early adopters. Contact Serious for more informaton.
The Serious documentation zone has extensive documentation, downloads, resources, training, and more.