SCM208 Comms/Control Module
Performance & Connectivity
The Serious Comms/Control Module 208 (SCM208) is a family of industrial-grade, long life supply off-the-shelf hardware modules designed to be the communications and control hub in OEM industrial machines as well as commercial and medical products. With extensive pre-licensed firmware supported by Serious technology onboarding programs, OEM design teams can quickly and easily get their products connected to Industrial, IT, and IoT networks, as well as potentially even replace hundreds of dollars in custom machine control electronics.
FEATURES & VARIANTS
Easy SIM Connectivity
- Board-to-board direct attach to 3rd and 4th Generation SIMs
Renesas Synergy™ S7G2 MCU for Comms Management
- On-board protocol translation, machine to GUI messaging and IoT connectivity
- USB 2.0 FS Device Micro B connector
- Tag-Connect TC2050 Debug Port
Network to SIM Power Conversion
- 9-25V to 5V DC-DC converter powers the SCM and attached SIM
- Robust 4 pin industrial wire connector
- MCU-based CAN Controller
- Robust 6-pin industrial wire connector
- RS232 or RS422/RS485 mode, half or full duplex
- Differential or single ended RS4XX with selectable slew rate
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
- Qualcomm QCA4002 2.4GHz with external antenna support
- nRF52-based with Bluetooth Smart, -96dbm sensitivity, 2Mbps max data rate
- Optional Serious Physical Module (SPM) for flexible connection & mounting
- For industrial or custom options contact Serious
Wide Operating Range
- -40 to +85°C extended operating temperature
- 9-25 VDC Input Power
DEVELOPMENT TOOLS AND SOFTWARE
A Complete No-Cost Commercial Development Environment
You can waste months porting an OS and developing the board support package, basic support utilities and communication protocol stacks — even before writing the first line of traditional C- code. Using “free” software stacks can lead you down of path with minimal support and a hodgepodge of building blocks constant requiring attention. Serious gives you a complete, no-cost, commercially supported development environment, including tools and software, to enable you to focus on your communications and control software, not the infrastructure. We call it Leveraged Embedded.
Full Commercial Dev Tools
Every SCM Development Kit comes with an unlocked, single seat commercial license to Segger Embedded Studio, enabling powerful cross-platform C development and debugging for your SCM projects. All Serious ARM-based SCM example projects come pre-engineered out-of-the-box for Segger Embedded Studio.
SHIPWare – A Complete Firmware Platform for Comms/Control App Development
Every SCM also comes with Serious SHIPWare – a starting set of code and firmware on which you can build powerful control and communications applications, leveraging all the features of your module. SHIPWare complete, commercially supported software including:
- Segger OS and Stacks
- Serious frameworks and infrastructure, including the SHIPv5 Boot Systemwith firmware update and version management
- Drivers and high level abstractions for on-board peripherals, including UART, SPI, I2C, WiFi, Ethernet, FLASH storage, and more
From Segger, the following no-cost, pre-licensed, pre-ported and fully supported linkable object libraries are included:
- Segger embOSRTOS kernel, pre-ported and optimized for the platform
- Segger emFilefile system, including FAT and embedded file system support with journaling, and all the necessary drivers pre-integrated for the platform
- Segger emUSB-DeviceUSB device/host stacks with various classes, and pre-integrated for the peripherals
- Segger emTCP/IPand TLS/SSL security stacks (including DHCP, web server, ftp, and more), pre-integrated with the WiFi and Ethernet peripherals
- Segger MQTT and CoAP stacks for IoT data connectivity
- Segger emCrypt, the foundational NIST-validated security you need for IoT and device connectivity
This OS and stack implementation is fully supported by Serious and is production-licensed for one copy per Serious module purchased – there are no additional required fees or licensing to use the Segger object software with the SCM. Source code and Segger-direct support is available as an upgrade from Segger with a discount for Serious customers.
In addition to these ingredients, SHIPWare includes numerous application level frameworks, drivers, and example code for developing a communicating and controlling application, including heap and buffer management, the SHIPBridge device and host protocol stacks for communicating with the HMI. This software is provided in source code format and is fully supported by the Serious team.
Production Line and Application Installation Tools
Out of the box, the SCM also includes the SHIPv5 Boot System, including pre-installed boot-strap and boot-loader applications enabling you to install and commission your custom embedded application on the board on the production line using the no-cost SHIPCrane tools or even over-the-air/wire.
SCM Development Engagement Model
There is no cost or royalty for the out-of-the-box software/firmware for Serious Comms/Control Modules (SCMs). However, getting access to this software and firmware for initial development with SCMs requires a one-time “kickstart” engagement with our Services team to ensure a smooth first project experience. First-time access to SCM dev kits and downloads is predicated on having this engagement in place. Once you’ve been through this initial process, ongoing support (including new revisions of firmware and access to new SCMs) is available at a nominal charge through an annual maintenance and support contract. Contact Serious for details.
This product is not recommended for new designs and development kits are no longer broadly available.
Contact your local Manufacturer’s Representative if you are an existing customer of this product and need an additional development kit for your team.
SHIPTide GUI Development IDE
- Pixel accurate page layout
- Built-in media support: jpg, png, bmp, tif, ttf, wav, and more
- Windows tested
SHIPEngine Runtime GUI Engine
- Licensed with every SIM
- Runs GUIs generated by SHIPTide
- Handles graphics, touch, communications, events, and more