SCM307 Control/IO Module
Flexible IO Control with Powerful Software Included
The SCM307 is a small single board off-the-shelf industrial-strength module with processor, memory, I/O, and basic communications all built-in.
Industrial, commercial, and medical products can use the SCM307 as a complete I/O controller, replacing many current custom control and I/O boards. The module includes numerous load drivers and sensor inputs and can connect to in-chassis or external RS422/485 networks.
Powered by a Renesas Synergy® S3A3 MCU with an ARM Cortex-M4 core, the SCM307 comes equipped with two commercially licensed software frameworks: the Serious SHIPWare framework (including SEGGER embOS and stacks) as well as the Renesas Synergy Software Package (SSP).
FEATURES & VARIANTS
The SCM307 family has numerous members, or “variants” with combinations of the following features:
ARM Processor & Memory System
- Renesas Synergy® S3A3 MCU with 48MHz ARM Cortex-M4 core and 512kB Flash/96kB RAM on-chip
- 256kB SPI EEPROM for build-in SHIPv5 Boot System code and user application storage
- 8x 150mA low-side load drivers for relays, etc.
- 6x 10kΩ thermistor inputs
- 2x 2A solenoid outputs (muxed w/stepper output)
- 1x stepper motor H-bridge output
- 1x mechanical or optical switch input
- 1x load cell input with 24-bit ADC
- RGB Light Bar and Time-of-Flight Sensor ready
- USB 2.0 FS Device Micro B port for PC connectivity
- RS485/RS422 2/4-wire half/full duplex with on-board termination option
- 6-pin feed-thru capable IDC RS422/485/power connector
Direct HMI Docking Option
- 30 pin board-to-board header for direct dock into custom or Generation 5 Serious Integrated HMI Modules (SIMs), e.g. SIMx52or SIMx62 series
- UART, I2C, and USB host connectivity
Robust Operating Environment
- 12 or 24VDC operation
- -40 to +85C operation
|Power & Environmental|
|Processor & Memory|
|Processor||Renesas Synergy® S3A3 MCU|
|Core(s)||48MHz Arm Cortex M4|
|MPU Flash (kB)||512|
|MPU RAM (kB)||96|
|Low Side Switch Outputs (Relays, etc.)||8||8||4||2||?|
|Mechanical/Optical Switch Input||1||1||1||1||?|
|Stepper Motor Output1||1||1||?|
|RGB Light Bar & ToF Sensor Ready||●||●||●||●||?|
|Load Cell Interface||1||1||?|
|RS422/485 2-/4-wire w/Transceiver||1||1||1||?|
|USB2.0 HS Device Micro B2||1||1||1||1||?|
|HMI Direct Docking|
|30-pin Gen5 HMI Docking Connector||●||●||●||?|
|USB2.0 HS Host (board to board)2||●||●||●||?|
1Solenoid and Stepper outputs are multiplexed and mutually exclusive
2USBH and USBD are multiplexed and software selectable
3Custom HMI only, not available for use with Serious Integrated HMI Modules (SIMs)
DEVELOPMENT TOOLS AND SOFTWARE
Complete No-Cost Commercial Development Environments
You can waste months porting an OS and developing the board support package, basic support utilities and communication protocol stacks — even before writing the first line of traditional C- code. Using “free” software stacks can lead you down of path with minimal support and a hodgepodge of building blocks constant requiring attention.
Serious gives you complete, no-cost, commercially supported development environments, including tools and software, to enable you to focus on your communications and control software, not the infrastructure. We call it Leveraged Embedded.
Full Commercial Dev Tools by SEGGER
Every SCM Development Kit comes with an unlocked, single seat commercial license to SEGGER Embedded Studio, enabling powerful cross-platform C development and debugging for your SCM projects. All Serious ARM-based SCM example projects come pre-engineered out-of-the-box for Segger Embedded Studio.
SHIPWare – A Complete Firmware Platform for Comms/Control App Development
Every SCM also comes with Serious SHIPWare – a starting set of code and firmware on which you can build powerful control and communications applications, leveraging all the features of your module. SHIPWare complete, commercially supported software including:
- Segger OS and Stacks
- Serious frameworks and infrastructure, including the SHIPv5 Boot Systemwith firmware update and version management
- Drivers and high level abstractions for on-board peripherals, including UART, SPI, I2C, WiFi, Ethernet, FLASH storage, and more
From Segger, the following no-cost, pre-licensed, pre-ported and fully supported linkable object libraries are included:
- Segger embOSRTOS kernel, pre-ported and optimized for the platform
- Segger emFilefile system, including FAT and embedded file system support with journaling, and all the necessary drivers pre-integrated for the platform
- Segger emUSB-DeviceUSB device/host stacks with various classes, and pre-integrated for the peripherals
- Segger emTCP/IPand TLS/SSL security stacks (including DHCP, web server, ftp, and more), pre-integrated with the WiFi and Ethernet peripherals
- Segger MQTTand CoAP stacks for IoT data connectivity
- Segger emCrypt, the foundational NIST-validated security you need for IoT and device connectivity
This OS and stack implementation is fully supported by Serious and is production-licensed for one copy per Serious module purchased – there are no additional required fees or licensing to use the Segger object software with the SCM. Source code and Segger-direct support is available as an upgrade from Segger with a discount for Serious customers.
In addition to these ingredients, SHIPWare includes numerous application level frameworks, drivers, and example code for developing a communicating and controlling application, including heap and buffer management, the SHIPBridge device and host protocol stacks for communicating with the HMI. This software is provided in source code format and is fully supported by the Serious team.
Renesas Synergy® Software Platform
Select SCM products also included access to the Renesas Synergy Software Platform (SSP), which includes both the commercial-grade IAR and open-source-based Renesas Eclipse/GNU tools for C development and debugging.
The SSP also includes:
- Application framework for abstraction and code re-use
- ThreadX®, a proven commercial RTOS
- X-Ware™, NetX Duo™, NetX Secure™, USBX™, FileX®
- Flexible layered architecture
- Developed under the IEC/ISO-12207 Software Life Cycle process
- Qualified to operate as specified by the SSP datasheet
- Robust common API across Synergy MCUs
Due to licensing and distribution restrictions with the Renesas Synergy Platform, support for these tools cannot be provided by Serious; all Synergy-related customer support is provided directly and solely by Renesas.
Production Line and Application Installation Tools
Out of the box, the SCM also includes the SHIPv5 Boot System, including pre-installed boot-strap and boot-loader applications enabling you to install and commission your custom embedded application on the board on the production line using the no-cost SHIPCrane tools or even over-the-air/wire.
SCM Development Engagement Model
There is no cost or royalty for the out-of-the-box software/firmware for Serious Comms/Control Modules (SCMs). However, getting access to this software and firmware for initial development with SCMs requires a one-time “kickstart” engagement with our Services team to ensure a smooth first project experience. First-time access to SCM dev kits and downloads is predicated on having this engagement in place. Once you’ve been through this initial process, ongoing support (including new revisions of firmware and access to new SCMs) is available at a nominal charge through an annual maintenance and support contract. Contact Serious for details.
The SCM307-A00-SJL-01 development kit contains everything you need to start working with the SCM307 family, including:
- SCM307-A00 module
- SEGGER J-Link LITE Cortex-M 5VDebugger/Programmer
- 110/220V AC to 12VDC power adapter with barrel jack adapter (for use with 6-pin plug)
- 6 pin 3.5mm industrial connector screw-terminal plug
- 4-pin JST VR example connector
- USB Micro B cable for SCM to PC connection
- SEGGER Embedded Studio IDE & C Compiler (full license, one seat, fully unlocked; SEGGER registration required)
- SCM307 Software Bundle, including Segger binary libraries & Serious SHIPWare frameworks
- Renesas Synergy® Software Package (SSP) and tools (Renesas registration required)